Wednesday, May 28, 2008

My Life Line Origami Art Project: Prototype works

The results of the working prototype is here.








Things I us
ed to make this
Image Scanner : Scan in my pieces of stuff.
Gimp : To cut my pieces scanned into transparency space.
Inkscape : To create my design and assemble.
A4 Paper : My media solution.
Super Glue : Stuff to glue my pieces of paper together.

How I came about the Idea
It is a prototype, as I bumped into a couple of issues. What is great about this piece, is that I can fold it various ways and fold it into my pocket. The idea sprouted from two places.

One was a suggestion from a counsellor to create an artistic impression of my life, known as a 'life line art'. You can do this in any form of art, from scrap booking like, to water colours. I was pondering then how to go about doing it.

A few weeks later I created an Origami Workshop for a day to a social community place, called, 'Holybrook Center'. Which went well, I taught 6 people how to do origami and created two models. Also gave them a 3rd diagram to take home. The chairwoman of this community organises various workshops and she is an artist her self. She showed me a 'scrap booking' piece that had this origami like technique. The my brain clicked to wanting to making something like this..

I knew how to finally create my 'life line' project, so I went straight to using Inkscape to create and plan my design. During that process I learning how to use this nice piece of software.

The issues I bumped into whilst assembling this: I didn't have pritstick, so I used super glue. I had to trim some over lapping pieces, I meant to rotate the black/white square in Inkscape.


No comments: