Wednesday, September 02, 2009

NHS Berkshire Community Meeting

I recently attended an NHS Berkshire community meeting at "Reading Resource". At first I didn't want to go as I wasn't used to them. Yet I got persuaded by key people(Who I help freely) to really attend, so I did and didn't expect myself coming feeling happy. Guess you could I was, 'Crawling out of my hole'.

I knew the NHS was in trouble with finance due to recession etc, yet I didn't expect them to show this desperate feel for help. This meeting got me caring for the NHS Service almost pretty darn quick, I knew some how my complex brain should be able to bring up some questions to help show my care. After a good 30 minutes in betweens I managed to fire out some questions :)

Like myself currently a 'service user' due to my history of depression on and off, I can see the through all the questions of the other users wondering where is all the money going and will they have enough money to pay for such therapy services. That 2nd person said, "Tell us what we shouldn't be doing and what we SHOULD do", which I then knew it was my time to fire some questions.

After hearing the NHS Berkshire paid for 18 talk therapies, made my brain click about, "Have they utilized Instant Messaging yet?". I saw in the news that it has been a proven therapy to help "depression" sufferers (I can vouch for that myself). I can tell they knew little knowledge of "Open source" technology as they responded to my questions most interestingly about, "They still pay for software licenses regularly".

The 2nd person then said, "We have to grab your contact details and I am sure the computer team would be interested to hear your views", which kind of shocked me, oh by the way and not to sound so boasting, that person is 'The Chief Executive of Care Trust for Berkshire' her name is 'Phillipa Slinger'. At least that's how I thought it sounded as I frantically asked around about that person.

They admit it will take a few years to make the changes, yet some how they are VERY willing to "Change" :) "Where there is a will there is a way" :) Oh by the way I have managed to change 3 people into "Open Source". Makes me wonder if I can convenience a whole service.

I will share some of my experiences of how "Change" can create some bizarre scary emotions in us, which I have slowly learnt to understand. It's like a major jolt..."no no no no no no way!" after hearing some news that they have do change their ways which they have so been used to for years and years. It's like, 'Why do I need the Internet when I can perfectly well know, I can buy a news paper in the corner shop that I can hold physically in my hands'. ....I shall stop here before this post gets any bigger :P

On a side note, check out Amy's Ghost events they have quite a chilling yet emotionally relaxing sounds with a chello included?!! I got to see them when a friend invited me over to see him play in Reading at RISC Cafe, sadly I missed him as he was presenting yet enjoyed Amy's Ghost :)

No comments: